I was looking for a budget friendly lasagna recipe in the 70’s when I came upon this recipe and have been using it ever since. It makes a 13 x 9 pan and is great for family gatherings.
The sauce is made in a slow cooker so you can set it up in the morning on low and it cooks while you’re at work. When you get home, make the noodles, layer everything in your pan and bake for an hour.
I get great comments on this meal. Serve with a nice salad and garlic bread. You can also use a dutch oven for the sauce and cook at least 5 hours. The longer the better to have the ingredients meld together.
Slow Cooker Lasagna
A great recipe for family gatherings
- 13 x 9 pan
- Slow cooker or dutch oven, 12" skillet
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet . Lightly salt and pepper. Drain.
- Place the beef mixture with the 3 tomato ingredients and bay leaf into the Slow cooker.
- Cover and set on low. This should cook 6 to 8 hours and thicken into a nice sauce.
- Cook noodles, drain and place in cool water.
- Remove bay leaf and begin layering in your 13 x 9 lightlly greased pan.
- 1st layer is the sauce , 2nd (4 noodles ), 3rd sauce, 4th(4 noodles,) 5th sauce, 6th (4 noodles).
- Last layer is sauce. Top with package of Mozarella.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!