My son has changed to a plant based diet and has become an avid organic gardener. I am still a meat eater but want to incorporate more plant based foods into my diet as well.
I had always made a special Ice Cream Sundae dessert for his birthday but now I had to find another way to celebrate.
I found this recipe for a chocolate cake that didn’t need dairy or eggs. It turned out great and the cocoa made the house smell like a chocolate paradise. The cake is super moist and the whole family enjoyed it. My son froze some of it and said it tasted great afterwards.
You can add frosting if you wish but I found the flavor was so rich and moist you don’t really need it. I dusted powdered sugar over it just for fun.
There are several steps involved but once you get going it moves right along.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 13 x 9 pan, 2 mixing bowls
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups heaping cups, unbleached flour
- 1 1/3 cups organic cane or granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350* Lightly spray nonstick oil in 13 x 9 pan. Dust with cocoa powder & shake out excess.
- In small bowl mix almond milk and vinegar. Set aside to activate.
- In large bowl add coconut oil, coffee, vanilla extract and applesauce. Beat until foamy.*(if coconut oil hardens microwave 10 to 15 sec.until melted)
- Add milk and vinegar, mix.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl or sifter and mix. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat until blended
- Pour batter into 13 x9 dusted pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool and frost or just sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake.