I joined the YMCA when my son was 2. I was a stay at home Mom and needed to get out and exercise and socialize. My son needed to socialize as well and find little friends to play with.
I took an exercise class and afterward played water volleyball which was so much fun! I met 6 ladies there with young children and we struck up a friendship that has lasted 30+ years.
I moved to CA when my son was 8 and missed my gal pals. Every year I would go back home to see my folks and take the hour-long drive back to Superior to meet my Y friends for lunch. We picked up right where we left off; talking and laughing about our adventures when our kids were young. We had lunches at each other’s homes to celebrate Holidays or birthdays. It was a wonderful time with many memories. This recipe is one that was easy to make and always popular.
Choco- Oat Bars
- Dutch oven and 9" pan
- 1 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups instant rolled oats
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter ( creamy)
- Melt butter and brown sugar in dutch oven on low heat until sugar is dissolved and starts to bubble. Stir a few times to blend.
- Add in vanilla and oats, stir until blended while still heating. Appx 3 to 4 min.
- Place half the mixture in bottom of pan and press down firmly.
- Melt chips and peanut butter in a micro-safe bowl until blended ( appx 60 sec)
- Pour mixture over oats and spread evenly.
- Drop remainder of oat mixture over the top . May reserve a little chocolate mixture to dribble over top if desired.
- Chill in refrigerator covered for 3 hours .