Fall is in the air, it’s time to make chili! Living in the Midwest one welcomes a hearty meal that warms you up from the inside out. Mom was always ready for company when she made chili. My sister and her college friends would stop by for lunch and have chili and crackers while they played cards until it was time to head back to class.
Chili was also a great food to serve when the Packers game was on. Everyone wore their Packers shirts and cheered the team on. It was a major event on Sunday for our family.
- Dutch oven
- 1/4 tsp margarine
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans(with liquid)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Top with shredded cheese if desired
- Brown beef, onion, peppers, and drain grease
- Add remaining ingredients, mix, cover, and simmer over low heat for 2 hours or until celery is cooked through.