Every Christmas my friend Sandy would have a cookie exchange party. She would invite 8 to 10 ladies who would bring about 3 dozen cookies each of their favorite recipe. Sandy would make different appetizers for us to sample and Brandy slush drinks to enjoy before we started the exchange.
We also each brought a wrapped gift and played a game we called “the Thing” where we could open and steal our favorite gift until everyone had a chance to change gifts. There was always one gift that everyone wanted which made it so much fun!
After the game we lined up all the containers of cookies on the dining room table and circled around with our empty containers until they were filled with a variety of goodies that we could take home. We loved having a variety of cookies to put out for Christmas and a wonderful evening with friends celebrating our early holiday party.
Why I love these easy sugar cookies
Well, anything with both white and brown sugar generally gets my attention and these easy sugar cookies are no exception. With good planning, you can have these on the tray and cooling in only 30 minutes. So you can satisfy those sweet-tooth cravings quickly!
The little dash of vanilla and the cream of tartar really help give these cookies a great flavor profile. Overall, for a simple sugar cookie these have a pretty fantastic taste!
- large bowl, cookie sheets, small bowl of water, small plate for sugar.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cream sugars, shortening and egg together.
- Add flour, salt, soda, tartar & vanilla together and slowly blend into the creamed ingredients.
- Roll into 1" balls and dip into water, then sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.