There is a chill in the air, winter is on the way. I see snow flurries reported already. That means its soup time!
I remember walking into the kitchen on a cold day and seeing a big pot of soup ready to serve. It warms you from the inside out and tastes delicious.
Mom always had plenty of soup ready as we often had extra guests. She would think nothing of adding some extra settings for company. Mom was a special lady with a huge heart. There would also be homemade bread to go along with the soup.
Enjoy this meal with friends and family, it is the best way to spend time together and enjoy each others company.
Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 12 inch skillet, Dutch oven
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 15 0z cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can (medium) V 8 juice
- 1/2 pkg dry onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 6 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- In skillet brown ground beef and onions. Drain and put into the Dutch oven.
- Add all of the ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- You may add cabbage or kale if you wish.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables the last 15 minutes.